QUESTION: Is a homeowner allowed to install his or her own system?

ANSWER: A homeowner may install the system for a property that will used as his or her primary residence as long as the system is gravity fed, pipe and gravel system and is limited to two systems within a five year period. 

QUESTION: Does having a subsurface operators license exempt me from having an inspector license?

ANSWER: No, just as an inspector cannot operate the system with only an inspector license, neither can an operator inspect it with only an operator license. 

QUESTION: What grade levels require an exam?

ANSWER: Currently grade level III, IV, Inspector require exams.

QUESTION: What kind of system can I install if I have a grade level I certification?

ANSWER: Single septic tank, Conventional (Gravel) Gravity System.

QUESTION: What kind of system can I install if I have a grade level II certification.

ANSWER: Grade Level I plus:  Multiple tanks, Grease traps, Single Pump or Single Siphon, Fill Systems, Sand Lined Trench, and any approved gravity or single pump dispersal system not specified in Grade Level III or Grade Level IV.

QUESTION: What kind of system can I install if I have a grade level III certification?

ANSWER: Grade II plus:  Dual pumps or Dual Siphons, Systems of greater than 1500 gpd to less than 3000 gpd, Low Pressure Dispersal, Flow Equalization, and any system requiring ground water lowering device with a pump.

QUESTION: What kind of system can I install if I have a grade level IV certification?

ANSWER: Grade III plus:  Systems equal to or greater than 3000 gpd, Multiple Off-Site Systems, Industrial Process Wastewater, Residential Wastewater Treatment Systems (RWTS), TS-I and TS-II System, Drip Dispersal Systems, and Wastewater Reuse Systems or any Pretreatment Component.

QUESTION: What are the continuing education requirements for each grade level?

ANSWER: Grade level I— 3 hours, Grade level II—3 hours, Grade Level III— 6 hours, Grade level IV—6 hours; Inspector—6 hours of continuing education are required each calendar year.   

QUESTION: Does my fee to the NCOWCICB cover any class training expenses?

ANSWER: NO, the fee paid to NCOWCICB is for certification only.  You are responsible to pay for any fees charged for classes.

QUESTION: When do I submit my application for certification to NCOWCICB?
ANSWER: You will submit the application for certification, certification fee and copies of attendance certificates after you have taken all the required classes.
QUESTION: What can I inspect if I become a certified Inspector?
ANSWER: The Inspector certification issued by NCOWCICB is used when there is a real estate transaction involved on the property.  This certification does not allow you to inspect system that are newly installed to receive the operations permit.
QUESTION: What is required to run a pump truck to pump out septic tanks?
ANSWER: NCOWCICB does not regulate pumpers.  This permit is a septage firm permit.  You will need to contact The NC Division of Waste Management Septage for information.
QUESTION: What is required to become a subsurface operator?
ANSWER: NCOWCICB does not regulate subsurface operators.  For information above becoming a subsurface operator contact NC Environmental Quality Wastewater Operator Certification.